Sunday, April 29, 2012

Five things that our Ugandan hosts observed about American visitors:
1. Americans talk loudly (yes, compared to very soft-spoken Ugandans, I would agree ;))
2. We look at the ground when we walk (I've noticed this even after coming back in myself and in passing other people.  Even if a Ugandan did not make eye contact with us in passing, they stared straight ahead and walked very erect)
3. We don't mind getting dirty (One day after working in the rain, I was particularly muddy.  In walking back to the guest house, people were staring because as I learned later an Ugandan would not work in the rain, at least not like digging or other construction work.  A few kids pointed and laughed at my very dirty pants).
4. We eat while we walk (this is a big no-no in Uganda and is considered disrespectful.  It only took us doing that one time to learn that lesson after buying food from a street vendor)
5. We don't pay attention to traffic (well..we do...we're just confused about people who drive down the middle of the street or the 'wrong' side of the street :)

No comments:

Post a Comment